Our Warriors 2016/2017

Our Warriors 2016/2017
Our Warriors 2016/2017

Sunday 4 September 2016

45 Positives from a Pretty Negative Day

Some may ask how I can find so many positives from the London Double Header vs Sarries - simply put I have cheated.  42 of the positives are the first half of the match itself.

Being honest, did you really think we were going to beat the current Premiership and European champions?  I thought not.

Did I think a Fiver @ 8/1 was worth a punt? Yes I did.

Did I also cover off my bets, which included an accumulator ruined by Falcons, by betting on Sarries to win?  Yes I did.  Does that make me a bad man?

I always have heart and head battles when it comes to My Worcester Warriors.

Like the new kit.  I love the home shirt, but usually I buy the away shirt first.  When I first looked at the new away shirt I thought it was great, then I took a closer look at the logo and stitching and I can't get to grips with it.

The logo looks inverted and when you are watching on TV or looking from any sort of distance you cannot read the Worcester Warriors, within the logo.  As a side note, Three Pears on the back is hardly decipherable at any point when watching on the TV.


In this shot of Lozowski scoring against us the club logo looks inverted on the shirts and the shorts.

A simple change back to the blue logo (also for the Under Armour logo) and we have a really nice shirt.

Sadly when I tried to point this out to Jim O'Toole it all got a bit out of context:


White and / or yellow on yellow just doesn't work [for me] but it is OK as I have already invested in a very nice Warriors training jacket in black and green.

So, 45 positives... the first 42 are the first half of the match yesterday.  Brilliant start and having read about the Falcons win the night before I fancied we would not be too far behind them at the end of week 1.

I have no idea what happened at half time but a different team came out for the second half.



Is it possible, having seen a 31-7 lead turn into defeat, that Laurie and Carl attended the same Halt Time Talk training session down at Castle Grim?

Within 2 minutes of the second half our heads were down, we were trying all sorts of unstructured defence, attacks and flicks and playing straight into Sarries hands.  The exact opposite of the first half.

There were many positives from the first half, but I have chosen two front rowers as my player positives - Val and Niall.

Val, as part of the pack, made the Sarries pack look tame.  We held almost every scrum and competed at every break down, throughout the first half


Niall Annett was my man of the 1st half.  The odd over throw but hooking, tackling and breaks were outstanding.  For not the biggest of forwards his pound for pound tackling is amazing.  He is consistently becoming our first choice hooker and an accomplished player.

Is it foreseeable that he would get a further international call up?

If I am not at the ground I tend to watch our games at home with the family.  I say with the family, but if it is not going well then they tend to leave the lounge and head to safer areas of the house until the game is over.  Around 50 minutes into the game this started to happen yesterday; my [5 year old] daughter gave me a kiss before leaving the room saying "don't worry I am playing tomorrow" followed by my [7 year old] lad saying "I will score loads of tries for you tomorrow".  Melted my heart and it almost made me happy!!

That's only 44 positives I hear you cry - It can only get better!

Positive 45 is a combination of factors:

45.1 - We were playing away from home
45.2 - We were playing Sarries, current domestic and European Champions
45.3 - It was Carl Hoggs first game in sole charge
45.4 - Chris Pennell will return
45.5 - Francois Hougaard will return
45.6 - Bryce Heem will return

So, taking into consideration all of the above - No I do not think we will be relegated, still!

Yes Falcons won and yes Bristol put on a great show, but we went toe to toe with Sarries and for all of the reasons above I chose to remember my 45 positives and ignore the second 40 minutes and continue to support My Worcester Warriors.

I also feel for a bunch of our very loyal supporters that made the trip to HQ yesterday and their bus broke down on the way back:


Not a nice way to end a day after such a thumping on the pitch.

So I used the Lindsay Clayton over night rule, brought my thoughts together and now figure it wasn't all that bad.

On the upside, today Daisy starts rugby for the first time in the WRFC U7's coached by the amazing Tim Cunliffe and Aidan continues his road to rugby for the WRFC Lions U8's with myself and Steve Perera coaching and trying to pass on our passion for the game to the next generation.

On the insistence of his Mum, Aidan is also sporting a nice new head guard this season, ahead [excuse the pun] of him going into contact rugby next season.  I do get it, but I'm yet to be convinced he actually needs one. Though plenty of kids were wearing them in the U7 festivals last season.
























No comments:

Post a Comment