Our Warriors 2016/2017

Our Warriors 2016/2017
Our Warriors 2016/2017

Friday 28 October 2016

A Few Things to Get Off My Chest

We are heading back into Premiership action this week and there are a few topics I have not covered, maybe they do not justify a full blog but together I thought it could be an interesting talking point.

Can we do it twice in as many seasons?



I was lucky enough to be invited to a corporate box at the Stoop last season.  I was the token Warriors fan brought along for entertainment.  The main guy in the box was very confident in his team and certain a bonus point win was coming their way.  The impartial guests were of a similar opinion and could not see how "plucky" Worcester could get anything from the game. 

By the end of the game, my host was the only person in the box not cheering us on - we fully deserved that away win, though Quins fans may argue that GJ's try was a bit controversial.

Personally I think we can do this 14-23 COYW!

Shillcock enters the senior squad 

Finally we hear that one of this seasons surprise packages has been promoted to and signed for the Warriors senior team.  I do not need to explain why this is good news.  He has been outstanding this season.  I just hope the return of Chris doesn't end this guy's run of games.



Personally I would be playing him at 10, especially with Heathcote out for probably a month now following that "tackle" against Brive.

Brive "Red Card"

Am I the only one that cannot see how this helps us?  The citing panel agree with the crowd on the day that this should have been a straight red.  We lost our 10.  They lost nothing and went on to win the game. 

We now have to replace Heathcote in the near future - Brive and more importantly Johan Snyman seem to have got off very lightly.  The 5 week ban indicates a medium severity BUT he will be back in time to play against us in the return fixture.  This cannot be right, surely?

I have a crazy thought - a citing for a red - the next fixture against that team (in this case our trip to their place in the Euro cup) they should lose a player from the minute that the citied player should have got their red.  Balances out for both teams then.  They should also have their ban, this is not instead of.

"Warrior" players getting local recognition

I guess the "players" should have been in quote marks too.  Great to see Valkyries getting recognition with Bianca Blackburn, Chelsea Parker from the HITZ programme and then Cooper Vuna as sports personality of the year - all in the Herefordshire and Worcestershire Sports Awards 2016.

Just based on personality Coops would win this hands down.  Add his Warriors performances and we have a no brainer.  He will need votes though - http://www.sportspartnershiphw.co.uk/vote-for-spoty-2016

Ongoing injuries

This is getting silly now.  How many guys do we need to sign as injury cover?  Having waited for what feels like months for Hougaard to return, he comes back injured.



I did see somebody suggest JBB return.  First off, congratulations to him having become a Dad recently.  Secondly please do not even consider him.  He played some great games for us, but having not found another premiership club or Pro 12 club or Top 14 side to sign for I am certain there is something about him that top clubs do not fancy.  I also do not think he bought into the 5 year plan then and would not fit into the club now. 

Ben T'eo

I am pretty sure that I am the only person to think this, but here we go - He still has not displayed anything near what I was expecting.

Olivier is still playing his socks off.  If not for Perry and Shilly grabbing the headlines then this man would be in every story related to our club.  My man of the season so far!

Chris Pennell is back

We missed Chris.  He came straight back into the 15 slot like he had never been out of it.  It is not just his playing that we miss, it is also his leadership on the pitch.  I am sure he will help in the final 20 of the game against Quins and help us get another away win.

When is Charity not Charity?

I do read some funny things on the internet, but nothing quite like this for a while:

The Facebook group for WRSC actually had a thread where a very vocal member complained about the new WRSC badges:



These badges are bought and sold with the intention of raising money for the Warriors ASEE programme.  This is a scheme that brings young adults / teenagers from the surrounding area into the rugby environment to see if they can make it as players.  The parents however need to support them in staying in the local area - this is where the badge comes in - buy a badge for £5 and 100% of the profit goes straight to ASEE.

The objection came when this particular member took offence to this being declared as charity.

Definition of Charity:
""the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need.


Wayland's Yard

I crowd funded and was involved in the decision for the WRSC to crowd fund also, I then attended the "soft launch" man I have bought into this idea.  The place is great.  I do not drink coffee.  I don't even like the smell very much but Sam and his team have catered for that…. Their tea is amazing!



I finally have a place to visit for a weekly treat that does not involve beer, though they sell that too.

The new £1 pint pots

Seem to be working, though once they have been washed a couple of times the edge seems to get a bit thin / sharp.  This does not happen with the ones I have from other grounds, so for me the jury is still out.

Two pint jugs


How did I not see these until I was about to leave.  The big problem for me with the old two pint pots was cold hands in the winter - this would seem to me as the perfect solution.  Looking forward to giving them a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment